Wednesday, August 15, 2018

'The worst Indian restaurant that I have visited abroad' - by K J S Chatrath.



I have visited quite a few places in India and broad. Since I am fond of Indian food, I visit the Indian eateries wherever I go. While in India it is possible to have excellent food in lower and mid-priced restaurants, on the other hand in Indian restaurants abroad the food is not cheap.


 More often than not these restaurants are run by Indians or Pakistanis or Nepalese or Bangla-Deshis. By and large the food that one gets in such restaurants is not authentic Indian stuff. One can imagine some modifications to suit the local palates- like less use of chillies, spices and oil, but one cant change the very look and taste of such dishes.

 Now to an Indian restaurant that I visited in 2017 in Santiago, Chile.

I ordered a modest fixed meal. 

The so called 'Dal Fry' is here for you to see. It was the most tasteless 'daal' that I have had in my life. In the name of "fry' there was an onion ring and s bit of coriander. It appeared to have been cooked centuries ago and heated and re-heated a couple of times. If a restaurnat cant make a decent edible daal then it has no right to advertize itself as an Indian restaurant.

Boiled rice was of the cheapest possible quality. The so- called tandoori roti was over done.

 
The spicy chutney turned out to be chinese chilly sauce.

The gulab-jamuns seemed to have been brought straight from the frig, without properly heating.

My take- even if some one offers to take you there- refuse politely.


An adjoining shop selling cheap Indian stuff. 

P.S...As usual, I was a full paying customer.

1 comment:

  1. I think the chef or owner of this restaurant in Chile lacked that special gift of cooking. He was cursed and told that whatever he will touch will turn into paste (after looking at daal lake -

    ReplyDelete