Saturday, March 2, 2019

'Badri Seth Marwadi Bhoj at Khajuraho- simply excellent' - by K J S Chatrath

Recently I spent four nights in Khajuraho visiting the magnificent temples which were constructed around 950-1050 AD. I was staying in a modest hotel which was very reasonably priced but the food served in their restaurant had 5 star prices, that I could not afford. There are plenty of eating places in Khajuraho from various shades of Indian to the Chinese, Western, Italian and what not. I consulted some auto drivers for authentic feed back about the best Indian eating place in town and they told me about 'Badri Seth Marwadi Bhoj'.

So soon I was there. It is walking distance from the entrance to the Western Group of Temples' and is around 100 metres beyond the Museum of ASITake a look above. It is a sweets shop and in the basement is the Marwadi restaurant.



I soon reached there. It is centrally located, walking distance from the entrance to the Western Group of Temples and just 100 metres from ASI's old Museum, but more about that museum later.

Soon two bowls of chutneys were place on my table.


And then came this third bowl. I tasted all the three and found those to be very good, not excessively hot. The third one reminded me how in Chile    snacks are served with exactly the same type of chutney- with the same ingrediants of chillies, onions and some vinegar. Of course, the Chilean chutney is redder as it contains tomatoes too. both in its looks and in taste. ('Sopapillas – the popular street food of Chile' by K.J.S.Chatrath ; www.fiftyplustravels.com/?p=8246) 



Chilean snack Sopapillas with sauce (chutney). Photo taken by me in Santiago de Chile in 2017.


 And then arrived the thali. Food was good looking and apetising. It was tasty with a spare use of chillies & masalas (spices). The best part was the 'Laccha Parantha', it was hot crisp and tasty - one of the best that I have ever taken. Pease-Aloo curry looked and tasted good but the peas had not been fully 'done'.

After two days I went again and ordered the same food. The menu was tyhe same and food very good, but the 'piece de resistence' - the laccha parantha was soggy and not very hot. I would suggest a greater attention to maintaining the excellent food quality in this restaurant. 

The bill came to Rs.135/- ( around 2 USD approximately) including two kinds of GSTs. Service was excellent and attentive and though generally that place does not have the practise of tipping, since I was feeling impressed by the service, I left a standard 10% for the waiter.

(Disclaimer: I was a full paying customer of the restaurant.)









No comments:

Post a Comment