Tuesday, March 8, 2016

'Arsalan Restaurant, Kolkata' by K.J.S.Chatrath

I visited Kolkata last month and spent four days there. I stayed* in hotel Jameson Inn Shiraz, Kolkata, West Bengal, on Park Street (www.jamesoninnshiraz.com).

 Choice of garnishing for omelettes in buffet breakfast in Hotel Jameson Inn Shiraz, Kolkata. 

I found this hotel to be on a great location, neat, clean and value for money. Breakfast spread was excellent and the staff extremely polite and helpful.



Just about five minutes walk was restaurant Arsalan, which was recommended to me by a Kolkatta friend. And yes, it was an excellent suggestion. In the picture above one can see the staff in neat dresses busy with their work.
I ordered Chicken Stew and tandoori rot. I have earlier noticed that in Delhi's well known Karim Restaurant also such a dish is called Chicken Stew. Why 'stew'- I just don't know. The dish was as tasty as it was good looking. After the recent revelation in the press/internet that fatty food may not be bad for us after all **, I was not at all over awed by the abundance of oil.



The roti was OK. Somehow I prefer rotis made of atta and not of maida or atta mixed with maida.

The presence of chillies in the dish was not for the weak hearted. Though it did make the dish hot, it also provided looks and flavour.
And after polishing off this stew with two rotis, something sweet was needed. I ordered phirni which was just too good.

My overall assessment: 7 on a scale of 10.***

Address:


Marina Garden Court, 191 Park Circus Crossing, Kolkata
Contact No. : 033-8297/2284 8556/ 8558 4010
Timings : 11AM to 11PM
Cuisine : Mughal
Chicken stew

*Note-1: I was a full paying customer in this hotel and was neither offered nor accepted any discount.
 

 **Note 2: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/cholesterol-u-turn-as-research-shows-fatty-foods-might-not-be-bad-for-us-after-all-10277837.html



***Note-3: I was a full paying customer in this restaurant and was neither offered nor accepted any discount or complimentary item. 


No comments:

Post a Comment